(a) Each eligible private grant recipient must have a board of directors consisting of at least 15 members and not more than 51 members.
(b) The board of directors of private grant recipients shall be constituted so as to assure that:
(1) one-third of the members of the board are elected public officials, currently holding office, or their representatives, except that if the number of elected officials reasonably available and willing to serve is less than one-third of the membership of the board, membership on the board of appointive public officials may be counted in meeting such one-third requirement;
(2) at least one-third of the members are persons chosen in accordance with democratic selection procedures adequate to assure that they are representative of the poor in the area served; and
(3) the remainder of the members are officials or members of business, industry, labor, religious, welfare, education, or other major groups and interests in the community.
(c) All committees of the board of directors of private grant recipients shall fairly reflect the composition of the board.
(d) In addition to the general powers granted under its state charter, the board of directors of the private grant recipients must possess the following specific powers:
(1) to appoint the executive director of the agency;
(2) to determine major personnel, organization, fiscal, and program policies;
(3) to determine overall program plans and priorities for the agency, including provisions for evaluating progress;
(4) to make final approval of all program proposals and budgets;
(5) to enforce compliance with all conditions of the Office's grants; and
6) to oversee the extent and the quality of the participation of the poor in the program of the agency.
Western Economic Development Organization has a tripartite board composed of 15 board members, in which 1/3 public officials or their representative; 1/3 representative of the low income; and 1/3 private groups make up the composition.
|Dr. Roger Higgs||Board Chairman|
|Sharon Henson Laney||Board Vice-Chairman / Treasurer|
|Rebecca M. Carson||Secretary|
|Lynn English||Board Monitor|
|Wilbur F. Owen|